Thursday, May 16, 2013

Dump Salad


You know how you're not supposed to show up at a party empty handed? Well, what happens if you have a last minute invitation and are in a pinch to make something? The solution? DUMP SALAD! I'm pretty sure this was the first thing I was able to make by myself. It is so good, especially when it is cold, and there are only four ingredients! Therefore, when I needed a sample demonstration for my 5th and 6th graders, I fell back on this gem! One of my students did the photography. 

All you need is cottage cheese, whipped topping, crushed pineapple, and Jello (any flavor will do... my favorite is Strawberry. My students decided they wanted to try grape, orange and blue raspberry.) 

draining the pineapple
The first thing you need to do is drain the pineapple juice into a cup. Go ahead and drink, chill, or toss the juice. After you drain the pineapple, you literally DUMP all the ingredients into a bowl. (You have no idea how difficult it was for my students to not bust a gut every time I said 'dump!' Naturally, I said it as often as I could!) 

Dumping the Cottage Cheese 


Dumping the Pineapple

 And then you stir. (I actually stirred the salad after I added each ingredient.) I don't suppose the order of ingredients matters, but I like to start with the whipped topping, followed by the cottage cheese. I stir these two together really well. Then I add the pineapple and give it another stir. 
Finally, I add the dry Jello mix. I had a picture of this step, but my students felt it looked morbid... so I decided not to use it. Don't let that stop you from enjoying this end product! :) 




Dump Salad
Ingredients:
Cottage Cheese (8 oz) 
Whipped topping
Crushed pineapple
Jello Mix (the smallest size, any flavor) 

Directions: 
Dump all ingredients into a bowl and stir. 

***It tastes best when it has been chilled. 
***You can try substituting mandarin oranges for the crushed pineapple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment