Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Lucky Leprechauns

My example -- not nearly as awesome as the students' work!
For St. Patrick's Day, I wanted to have a project with a good message that could stay up through the middle of April. We are having the 100th anniversary of St. Mary School on April 14, and I wanted to have the third and fourth graders do something that could stay up on the walls for guests to see.  Because we hosted forensics last night, I thought they would be very cute to have up for visiting students to see. I found some ideas on Pinterest and combined them to come up with these gems! The pot of gold came from a wonderful blogger: The Teacher Wife. She has it available on her Teachers Pay Teachers store. I found a picture of these leprechauns made out of paper plates on Pinterest, but I don't know the source of the picture because the pin no longer goes to the website source of the picture! I asked the students to think about who is worth more than gold and wrote this prompt on the board: "______________________ is worth more than gold."  The students had to write acceptable responses before they could draw their pictures. I showed them an example I had made using my nephews (aren't they A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E?) The written part is shown above.Because my students are better drawers than I am, I just decided to use a picture for the example. They understood. I absolutely love how they turned out! Most of the students wanted to write about their whole families. Here are some highlights.



This student wins my award for favorite beard. I love how the curlies go all the way up the face. He was very proud of his side burns!
I really get a kick out of this one! He wrote about his mom and dad. Apparently his dad is a bull rider, and that is the uniform he wears to practice!





No comments:

Post a Comment