Friday, May 17, 2013

Monster Instructions

I mentioned in my post about dump salad that the fifth and sixth graders are preparing to give demonstrations.Their topics cover a wide range of activities. For example, two students are demonstrating how to show animals at the fair - one will demonstrate sheep, and one swine. Another student is teaching us a dance move. A few students are teaching us how to draw.

As they are preparing their presentations, they have certain forms to fill out. The first form had them write their topic, what they knew, what they need to know, the materials they need, and the steps to complete the task. The second form asked them to write out the steps more specifically. 

This threw them for a loop! They had just written the steps - why would they have to write them again? The first person to turn in their second form had copied the steps from the first form verbatim. He was flabbergasted when I handed the paper back to him.

One of my drawers had written, "Draw two wheels" for step number one. I dramatically went to the board and drew two wheels in the middle of the board. As it turns out, the front wheel should be smaller than the back wheel! This opened their eyes a little more, but they were still confused. After seeing more forms like the first, I knew I hadn't explained it well enough. 

I figured I better do something to make them understand how specific their instructions should be. The next day, instead of working on our projects, I had an activity for them to do. I gave the students scrap sheets of paper and then asked them to draw a SIMPLE monster that anyone in the class could draw. That was tough, we have some artists in that class! 

I gave them five minutes to draw the monster. It was so nice out, I told them if they were working quietly at this time, we could do the rest of the activity outside. They have never been so quiet (it was a REALLY nice day!) 

Towards the end of the five minutes, I assigned each student a number. There were two ones, two twos, etc. Then we lined up in pairs to go outside. Each pair had a clipboard and more scrap paper. I told the students to spread out and guide their partner through replicating the monster WITHOUT showing the monster. 

After one person was finished describing, the partners switched roles. We learned a LOT! Hopefully now they understand why they have to fill out the second form. I told them to write "ORG" on the original drawing. However, if you can't see it, for the most part, the original drawing is on the left, and the replica is on the right. 







No comments:

Post a Comment